Abortion Pill (RU486) – medical abortion
A medical abortion is an alternative to a surgical abortion. The procedure involves medication, called Mifeprex or Mifepristone, in combination with Misoprostol to terminate an early pregnancy without surgery.
The Abortion Pill, also known as RU486 (medication combo), may be offered up to 10 weeks of gestation. The process involves a transvaginal ultrasound to determine length of pregnancy, lab work and counseling to ensure that the patient understands the process fully.
This option is suitable for many patients who prefer the privacy and convenience, as well as, avoiding the risks of surgery and anesthesia. This abortion procedure is completed in the safety and privacy of your own home.
Our Board Certified physicians are the most experienced and leading experts in Abortion Pill services. We were the pioneers in this field, that started the use of medical Abortion Pill (Mifeprex/RU486) in the state of New Jersey working in conjunction with the manufacturing company, to assure the most effective and medically proper use of this medication.
Abortion Pill Procedure
- This abortion procedure using Mifeprex/ Mifepristone is offered after we confirm your pregnancy with a urine test and ultrasound.
- The first pill is taken in the clinic, followed by 4 tablets of Misoprostol at home, which will cause your uterus to contract and expel the pregnancy.
- You should expect to feel cramping and begin bleeding within a few hours of taking the Misoprostol.
- It would be wise to have sanitary napkins handy, as well as, over-the-counter pain relievers, such as Tylenol or Advil.
- Although the cramping and bleeding nay be more severe with the abortion pill, some women prefer this method in order to avoid surgery and anesthesia.
- Our staff is available 24/7 to support you through this process, and provide your follow-up care 2-3 weeks after procedure.
When You Arrive At Women’s Choice
A receptionist will greet you and ask you to complete a Medical History form. After a review of your chart, you will be brought to the laboratory where you will leave a urine specimen in order for your pregnancy to be confirmed.
One of our physicians will perform an ultrasound to establish the size of your pregnancy.
A qualified peer counselor will then explain the abortion pill procedure to you. At this time, you will be given the opportunity to ask questions and to discuss your feelings and concerns about your decision. The counselor will give you instructions and discuss risks and complications with you.
She will also be happy to talk about birth control methods that are available to you.
IMPORTANT – Read the “You Should Know” section below about the Abortion Pill being offered by other providers or online.
Questions? Click frequently asked questions and answers
Evening appointments are available Monday through Saturday, in the utmost private, dignified, confidential, safe and caring environment. Please notify us when requesting your appointment.
YOU SHOULD KNOW
Other providers (including web providers) may prescribe you the ABORTION PILL, but they DO NOT have their own medical staff to provide 24/7 total care in case of an adverse effect or emergency. At a Women’s Choice we provide 24/7 service with the most experienced and leading experts of OB-GYN physicians in the state of New Jersey. We will also provide you with complete and total continuity of care through your procedure — other clinics may refer you to a local emergency room OR an other unaffiliated professional if there’s an emergency, resulting in a GREAT INCONVENIENCE and/or EXTRA COSTS to YOU.